For many years, the Swiss Federal Roads Authority has been carrying out permanent automatic traffic counts and measurements, as well as periodical manual traffic counts, within the scope of the ongoing statistical surveys conducted by the federal government. These traffic counts are the responsibility of the Traffic Monitoring section of our Road Networks division. Its main duties are as follows:
- To operate and continually expand a network of counting and measuring stations on Switzerland's main thoroughfares
- To collect, process and evaluate traffic and accident data via a central database
- To distribute data and publish statistics
- To co-ordinate national and international road traffic statistics
- To assist with traffic counts conducted by the cantonal authorities and other federal offices
For further details, please refer to the organisational chart on the Swiss Federal Roads Authority's homepage.